Delhi, July 29
Union Minister of Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Shri Bhupender Yadav and Minister of State for Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Shri Ashwini Kumar Choubey attended the Global Tiger Day 2022 Celebrations held today at Chandrapur Forest Academy, Maharashtra.
The Ministers, along with other delegates, visited Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve (TATR) and appreciated the diversity of the landscape, its flora and fauna and had informal interactions with the forest staff & tiger reserve management to understand the field level protection issues.
Tadoba Anderi Tiger Reserve has a landscape with a high-density of tigers that co-exist with the local population. Shri Yadav was deeply appreciative of the dedication of the staff in carrying out enforcement activities specially the mobile application based smart patrolling called MSTRIPES.
He also appreciated the unique community-based ecotourism model which is providing livelihood opportunities to the locals and has helped win support for the reserve.
Global Tiger Day celebrations were held in Forest Academy in Chandrapur. Union Minister received the guard of honour by Special Tiger Protection Force, an exclusive regimented strike force from Tiger Reserves of Maharashtra & Kerala Forest Department.
Shri Bhupender Yadav congratulated all tiger range countries, and commended India in particular for setting a benchmark in conservation for having & protecting more than 70% of global tiger population.
He said that the Government of India has demonstrated its commitment to tiger conservation by increasing number of tiger reserves from initial nine in 1973 to the current 52, the latest being Ramgarh Vishdhari in Rajasthan.
The government is committed towards the well-being of the people who inhabit these tiger bearing landscapes through creation of various livelihood opportunities and interventions.
He commended Maharashtra for implementing the unique Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Jan Van Vikas Yojana which provides for schemes for the welfare of people living in and around tiger reserves which is worth emulating by other states.
To avoid complacency, an unbiased, independent, management effectiveness evaluation is conducted quadrennially involving outside experts in the wildlife conservation and also the All India Tiger Estimation once in four years and is currently being carried out for the fifth time, the Minister shared. He mentioned with pride that this unique exercise done in 2018 has entered the Guinness book of world record.
He emphasized on promoting low impact sustainable tourism in Tiger Reserves with maximization of visitor satisfaction and direct benefit sharing with locals. He shared that India has taken up a high priority conservation project to bring back Cheetah which went extinct in 1952 by embarking on cheetah introduction programme which is at an advanced stage of implementation. The bilateral agreement with Namibian Government is already signed and the MoU with South Africa will be signed soon. He appreciated all the field staff for the commitment shown for tiger conservation which has put the country in number one position globally.
- Dr Mansukh Mandaviya addresses Global Vaccine Research Collaborative Discussion on Vaccine Research and Development, a G20 co-branded event
- PM chairs high level meeting to take stock of the situation in the wake of the train mishap in Odisha
- Haryana Deputy Chief Minister presented a gift of Rs 12.20 crores to Narnaul region
- ATP arrested for bribery, demanded Rs 40 lakh in exchange for preventing the demolition of unauthorized colony
- PEDAL TO KEEP DISEASES AWAY, HEALTH MINISTER GIVES MANTRA ON WORLD BICYCLE DAY
- Punjab to forge strategic partnership with Israel for better water management: Jimpa
- Panjab University, Chandigarh conducted the entrance test PUTHAT -2023 for admission to Bachelor of Hotel Management and Catering Technology and Bachelor of Tourism and Travel Management courses
- Employees to hold demonstration in support of their demands
- Punjabi language in the B.A. Courses in the Panjab University(PU)
- Sports Minister Meet Hayer congratulates Indian team for winning Junior Hockey Asia Cup
- Meet Hayer visits Bhakra-Nangal project, inspects Dam and Reservoir
- All Zodiac Signs horoscope for 13 May, 2023 – Daily horoscope today May 13, 2023
astrology Chandigarh News editor's pick Haryana News Health News Himachal News India News Jammu&Kashmir latest jobs Mizoram North India News Panchkula News Panjab University Punjab news